Wednesday, November 26, 2008

ProShares Rolls Out Commodity and Currency 2x and -2x ETFs

Just 12 days ago I came out with what I thought was a bold statement in Prediction: Direxion Triple ETFs Will Revolutionize Day Trading. I was going to do a follow-up to show how volume has skyrocketed in these ETFs, but Bespoke beat me to it in today’s 3x ETFs on Fire. Bespoke includes some excellent graphics that capture the extreme volatility in these ETFs as well as the snowballing volume trend.

Not to be outdone by Direxion, ProShares is now rushing to market a new group of 2x and -2x ETFs focused on commodities and currencies.

Personally, I continue to transition more and more of my trading from stocks to ETFs. I think the ETF trend is here to stay.

[source: ProShares]

4 comments:

vovor said...

Hi Bill,

First thing: I really appreciate reading your blog entries on various subjects.

Second thing: as VIX approaches its mid-term support of 50 and international indices are just below mid-term resistances, I think a post about your sentiment on the current VIX and SPX levels (as compared to HV or whatever) would be welcome :-)

Thanks again!
Thomas from France

admin said...

Can you please tell me how to draw 20 day historic volatility in spx on stockcharts.com?

Bill Luby said...

Thomas,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I appreciate it.

Next week looks like a good time to do a "state of the VIX and SPX" post.


Vinaydh,

I do not believe StockCharts is set up for historical volatility calculations of any type.

FWIW, most of the HV charts I post here use my own HV data.

Cheers,

-Bill

Anonymous said...

You actually make it appear really easy together with your presentation
but I in finding this topic to be actually something that I believe I would
never understand. It seems too complex and very extensive for me.
I am looking forward to your subsequent submit, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!


Also visit my website - registry cleaners

DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2023 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics