Friday, October 12, 2007

From Overripe to Vulnerable?

I recently published a list of ten of my “Overripe High Fliers” in a post with the intriguing name of “BIDU: Hogs (Eventually) Get Slaughtered.” Ironically, BIDU was trading at 301 at the time of that post (September 25th), not too far from where it is as I type this, but I’ll save a more detailed discussion of BIDU for another day.

As of yesterday, my Overripe High Fliers list (yes, I actually call it an OHFdex) was up to 17 components. In the graphic below, I have sorted the OHFdex components by daily percentage change. Clearly the Macau gaming high fliers LVS and WYNN bucked the trend yesterday. Interestingly, those two stocks are down today while the tech stocks are rallying. The OHFdex group of 17 includes many of the market leaders and top performers from the past few months. If these continue to bounce back, then the bull market should remain strong. On the other hand, if this group falters, then the market will have to find new leadership or else succumb to the same gravity.


For quick visual reference, I have also included the CandleGlance charts from StockCharts.com for the 14 highest fliers (yes FSLR, LDK and ICE have been demoted.) For the record, these charts include a 20 day SMA in blue and a 50 day SMA in red:

2 comments:

Tim Knight said...

Just wanted to say I enjoy your blog, and I'm grateful for your including my blog in your list. I visit VIX a few times a week!

Bill Luby said...

Thanks, Tim. The admiration is definitely a two way street.

FYI, your blog was was of the first ones that I latched on to when I was starting up at the beginning of the year.

DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2023 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics