Information pertaining to the two new VIX ETNs is hard to come by at this point, but Jamie Tyrrell’s (optionMONSTER) Volatility Sonar report from Friday indicates that a Barclays representative is talking about a launch this Friday, January 30th.
While I am not sure if the tickers have been finalized, I just now discovered an August 27, 2008 prospectus that describes the ETNs at some length and lists a VXX ticker for the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN and a VXY ticker for the iPath S&P 500 VIX Mid-Term Futures ETN.
After I have had a chance to study the prospectus I will offer up more on these new ETNs.
In the meantime, some of the usual suspects have already offered some thoughts on the subject:
- New VIXes on Tap? (Daily Options Report)
- VIX Futures Are Not Always a Volatility Play (Don Fishback’s Market Update)
- A Bit More on the VIX ETN (Don Fishback’s Market Update)
- Update on VIX ETNs (Don Fishback’s Market Update)
- Potential New VIX Product – Beware!! (Don Fishback’s Market Update)
- New ETN Will Give Investors Access to Volatility (Kevin Grewal, ETF Trends)
- New VIX ETN Coming? (Distressed Volatility)