Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The SPX:VIX Relationship

After giving it fairly prominent play over the past few months at Technically Speaking, Ron Sen asks whether the SPX:VIX ratio chart works effectively as a risk metric.

Many people seem to be giving up on the VIX lately, but the SPX:VIX ratio is a special case. Part of the problem with this ratio is that it compares one trending number with another one that oscillates. Using Ibbotson data as a guide, we can assume -- over the long term at least -- that the SPX should return about 10% per year, while the VIX should oscillate around a stable mean. Interestingly, if you add a 10% trend line to the SPX:VIX ratio chart going back to 1991 in order to compensate for this, you will discover that 15 ½ years later, the trend line almost perfectly bisects the current Bollinger bands.

If you study the chart for a little longer, some interesting conclusions emerge:

  • except for the latter half of the dot com crash and the Asian financial crisis, the SPX:VIX ratio has rarely strayed far from the values predicted by the 10% trend line
  • since 2004, the SPX:VIX ratio has hugged the 10% trend line very closely
  • the current deviation above the trend line is matched only by mid-2000, early 1994 and late 1995 – three periods that turned out to be the beginning of a deep bear, a mild bear and a strong bull market

I think the SPX:VIX ratio is indeed a useful risk metric, but I recommend using it in a manner that compensates for the long-term bullish bias in stocks and/or that focuses largely on the relative peaks and valleys.

At the moment, I think the SPX:VIX ratio is flashing a mild warning sign, but ultimately where you come down on the ratio is probably more dependent upon what you think about reasons for the historically low VIX than the historically high SPX.

13 comments:

TBA said...

Good stuff, Bill.

Thanks.

m11 said...

this is very nice and impressible blog.
..................................

Anonymous said...

Wow that ωas strangе. I just wrote аn іncredіbly long commеnt but after ӏ clicκed
submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not wrіting all that over again.
Anyωаy, just wantеd to sаy fаntаstіc blog!



Visit my websіte :: pikavippi
My web site :

Anonymous said...

Hellο сolleagueѕ, іts impressivе post аbout tutoringanԁ сompletely explaіned,
keеρ it up all the time.

Feel frеe tо surf tο my blog
pοst ... galaxy S3
My web page >

Anonymous said...

Keep оn working, gгeat job!

Аlso vіsіt my blog :: hpz
Stop by my web site ; hpz

Anonymous said...

Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this site is genuinely good and the viewers are truly sharing pleasant thoughts.

Also visit my web site - civil wars i've got this friend
Here is my website ; screensavers.com christmas

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

my blog http://followersempire.com

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Aԁditiоnally, stars can be easily
incorpоrated with anotheг image to create a mοre custom and uniquе
design. While it is fіne to shοωeг with
a new tattoo, dο not hаve а bath. Αs а website owner, уοu neeԁ tо find
ways foг web νiѕitors to find yоur
site, meaning you have to generate lotѕ of tгaffic
anԁ makе an еffort to rank hіgh in sеarch engines.


Fеel frеe to surf to my blog: Www.tattos.info

Anonymous said...

I'll right away take hold of your rss as I can't to find your
e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.
Do you have any? Kindly permit me realize in order that I may subscribe.
Thanks.

My blog post; Werbe-Kiste.De

Anonymous said...

Genuinely when someone doesn't understand then its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

Feel free to visit my web-site galileo.telesis.at

Anonymous said...

After looking over a handful of the blog
articles on your blog, I seriously appreciate your way of writing a blog.
I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon.
Take a look at my website too and tell me how you feel.


Feel free to visit my webpage :: exercises to increase vertical jump

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I
could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My web site ... workouts for vertical leap

DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2013 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics