Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Birthday Party?

As we all know, the markets have a talent for making big U-turns at the most inconvenient times. For some, this means a 4% sell off just when you decided to margin some high flying internet stocks. For me, this means having a birthday and attempting a birthday celebration on the day when the subject of your blog makes an unprecedented 64% move. Yesterday someone asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I almost blurted out “A 20% spike in the VIX, of course,” but I bit my tongue and said something much less memorable. There’s a lesson in there somewhere.

Oh well, I guess it could have been worse. I could have been the guy who bought 63,000 April 11 VIX puts. Heck, here in Northern California, you can get a fairly decent condo for what he (or she) just threw away.

Back to the real world…I’ve been away from my computer for the nine hours or so since the markets have closed. I will do my best in the next hour or two to make some sense out of the debris left behind from today's seismic shock and post some thoughts here later. In the interim, readers looking to get a sense of my thought process might want to check out some of the following archived but relevant posts (as an aside, I too am not a fan of bands that make a live album or greatest hits collection after only one record or two, but that won’t stop me from doing essentially the same thing):

1 comments:

Trading Goddess said...

Speaking of birthdays, I am so ancient and my eyesight is failing... I was wondering if you might contemplate changing the color of your links in your posts? The gray (?) color is hard to spot, as well as it is difficult to make out the actual words.

Just a thought.

From one old person to another.

LOL!

DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2023 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics