Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Selloff Overdone Prior to FOMC Minutes Release?

In the hour and 40 or minutes or so before the FOMC releases the minutes from their December meeting, I am using the market weakness to make some buys. I have a number of reasons for doing this, not all of which I am going to detail here. Instead, I will post a chart of the NASDAQ TRIN, the counterpart to the NYSE TRIN that I discussed a couple of days ago. TRIN numbers can be calculated for each exchange. I watch the NASDAQ closely because the NASDAQ often leads the NYSE in terms of determining speculative sentiment.

In the chart below, I use 5 minute bars over a 10 day range. My thinking, in a nutshell, is not that I can guess what the FOMC minutes will reveal, nor even how the market will react to it, but I suspect that if the news is considered bullish by traders, the market will move much more decisively than if the news is considered to be bearish.

I consider this a contrarian sentiment play, with an asymmetrical news reaction magnitude potential. From a probability perspective, it’s about a 50% play; from an expectation perspective, I think the numbers are solidly in my favor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job Bill; I caught the move as well. There were some pretty significant divergences in VIX and RVX the hour before the minutes.

Jeff said...

Nice going, Bill. Given the overall anti-Fed sentiment these days, I expected that they would see the worst in anything said!

DISCLAIMER: "VIX®" is a trademark of Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated is not affiliated with this website or this website's owner's or operators. CBOE assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness or any other aspect of any content posted on this website by its operator or any third party. All content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and is not intended as advice to buy or sell any securities. Stocks are difficult to trade; options are even harder. When it comes to VIX derivatives, don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can ride a horse, you can ride an alligator. Please do your own homework and accept full responsibility for any investment decisions you make. No content on this site can be used for commercial purposes without the prior written permission of the author. Copyright © 2007-2023 Bill Luby. All rights reserved.
 
Web Analytics